Drone Assist is the new drone safety app from NATS, the UK’s main air traffic control provider, powered by Altitude Angel. It presents users with an interactive map of airspace used by commercial air traffic so that you can see areas to avoid or in which extreme caution should be exercised, as well as ground hazards that may pose safety, security or privacy risks when you’re out flying your drone.
It also contains a ‘Fly Now’ feature that enables you to share your drone flight location with other app users and the wider drone community, helping to reduce the risk of a drone related incident in the UK’s airspace.
Download for free now…
* The CAA supports any measure to improve drone safety but, as a regulator, cannot endorse individual products.
You can also see airspace advice online (without using an app) via the NATS portal at drones.nats.aero/home
The NATS airspace user portal is available at aup.nats.aero/
In addition to NATS’ Drone Assist, other useful resources exist to support the safe use of drones. We have included a selection below which their developers have declared to meet the following criteria:
- Clear and accurate visualisation of relevant airspace with textual description
- Comprehensive and reliably up-to-date airspace database from an approved aeronautical information management source (to ensure timely inclusion of airspace changes and temporary restrictions or hazards)
- Includes UK drone safety regulations (e.g. the Dronecode)
The CAA and NATS have not checked or approved the apps listed here.* Full responsibility for safe operation remains with the person operating the drone. It is up to them to assure themselves of the accuracy of the data and comply with all UK drone rules and regulations.
If you have developed an app which meets the above criteria and would like to be included in this list, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org .
* As a regulator, the CAA supports any measure to improve the safe use of drones but does not endorse individual products.
Use AirMap to get real-time airspace intelligence about your flight, including nearby controlled airspace, temporary flight restrictions, critical infrastructure and changes in weather. Use AirMap’s precision flight planning tools to get a dynamic, real-time understanding of airspace conditions, advisories, and requirements prior to takeoff. Get live traffic alerts when manned aircraft trajectories create a potential hazard for your drone’s area of operation. Create a pilot profile, manage your aircraft, view past flight plans, and more.